Saturday, August 6, 2011

What goes in to this thing called "quilting"....

Inspired by this post and this post, too, I am going to describe my motivation.  I like to quilt just to do it, it has turned into my therapy.  I am inspired by the recipient of the project not so much by a certain movement within the quilting world.  I love taking patterns designers have spent long, arduous hours planning and tweaking it with just a hint of a change- just to see if I can.  When I am making a quilt I spend a lot of time thinking about the person for whom will receive it and perhaps should be thinking a bit more about my seams and technique.  I just get lost... I get consumed with sewing the bits of fabric I've cut up, mulling over the chosen color scheme, bantering throughout the whole process of the making the quilt on whether or not it will be liked.  With some of the quilts I've made, they've become loved and threadbare before my eyes, others have been shelved and tucked away.

I haven't sold a quilt, I'm just not so sure that's for me.  Perhaps one day if I really become more polished in my efforts and finally learn to long arm, then I might.  But for now I just like piecing and figuring out how to take whole pieces of cloth and turning them into bits and pieces that come together in a wrappable, cozy swaddle.  I adore that fabric designers have blessed me with precuts that contain a smattering of all of the available prints and coordinating solids for their line.  I am challenged when it comes to being able to grab bolts of fabric and know they just work well together.  I just really don't have a fabulous eye for color.  I wish I did and it's an area I hope to work on along the way. I'm not brand loyal, but quality loyal.  I like the way quilter's cotton feels rather than a bit more economical fabrics.  I would rather make fewer quilts with better fabric than more quilts with lesser quality fabric.  Unfortunately at this time in my life I have a couple limitations: I have four kids 11, 7, 5, 2 and my husband is the only one working.  That translates as little time and little money to designate to my hobby.

However, as I can squeeze it in, I try to quilt as often as I can.  At times it is much to the dismay of my family as I will willingly ignore my household obligations just to finish a bit more on a project.  I am not a Holly Homemaker, that's for certain!  I'll quickly exchange sewing for dishes and laundry at any opportunity!  I learn so much from the blogs I follow and the various flickr groups I take part in, but I wouldn't classify myself as a certain "type" of quilter.  I do love the current fabrics and vibrant prints.  I just have to say again, I love, love precuts!  I really enjoy the blogs that expose how they approach their projects and what the quilter is trying to accomplish with each project.  I suppose that's the historian in me coming out:  I love the backstory.  Behind every quilt, there is an individual that spent a significant amount of time on the work.  I like hearing the why and how of it all.  Perhaps that's why I haven't allowed for anyone to purchase a quilt from me, it feels impersonal right now.  It's a compliment to be asked but I like knowing where my quilt is going.  As far as other quilters selling their work, I need them to keep doing so!  I need the sponsored blogs to tell me about new items out there for purchase!  I don't mind so much the sponsorships and giveaways (I seldom enter, anyway!) as long as when I read the review it feels genuine to me.

So that's it, I'm still growing in my quilting experience and so far it has been wonderful!

Don't get me wrong, I really need the folks

No comments:

Post a Comment