Monday, July 25, 2011

Stars and Stripes...

This quilt was my first venture unaccompanied.  I'd bought a refurbished Kenmore machine at the local Sears for $99 and a book with some simple patterns and decided to give it a go.  At first I thought I'd be able to do it all by hand but bit by bit I learned that there were easier methods than scissor cutting, hand stitching the pieces together and "guesstimating" the measurements using a tape measure.

After purchasing a rotary cutter, mat and ruler this quilt easily came together for me.  The thought was, since my husband was in the Army, for each blue starless portion of each flag, I would applique or embroider his various unit patches throughout his career.  Shortly after completing this quilt (around 2002?) I tucked it away.  It has since been a wall decoration or on a shelf.  I have those patches still and eventually would like to attach them.  This is the only quilt, other than those for my kids, that I've kept.

No comments:

Post a Comment